Wednesday, June 13, 2018

"Things Are Not Always As They Seem"

While influencers have provided new and effective methods for brands to market themselves, the impact on our personal lives appears concerning. At this point, social media, as a whole, have existed long enough for people to recognize the dangers that it poses to our mental health. There are plenty of studies and statistics out there to build an argument about the risks associated to social media, but I want to focus on perhaps the biggest potential risks that I see stemming from the influencer industry specifically.

Influencers' ability to directly impact and persuade others is what makes them such an effective marketing and business tool. People see someone like Kim Kardashian wearing Diff Eyewear sunglasses and, all of a sudden, the whole world feels like they need a pair. I would be lying if I said that I, myself, have never been tempted to purchase these glasses and, honestly, I don't even like the style of them! Again, this is what makes influencers so beneficial for brands. But, on the flip side, having so much influence over others seems disconcerting to me.

Let me ask this: Who is the biggest influence in your life? When I think of the biggest influence in my life, I think of my grandfather. After my dad passed away when I was only six months old, my grandfather voluntarily took on the role of my father figure. Throughout all the years of my life, he has exhibited resilience, selflessness, humility, and love. He exhibits the true qualities of a role model, qualities that I now aspire to have myself.

Most people would probably still answer my original question with someone who is a part of their personal lives (whether that be a friend, family member, etc.). However, now that digital technology is finding ways for us to have such personal relationships with people that we don't even know, I fear that the people on our Instagram feeds are soon going to be the biggest influences in our lives, whether we realize it or not.

Not only are more and more people starting to desire the material things and lifestyles of certain influencers, but some of them are failing to recognize the value of what they already have. The quote, "things are not always as they seem," is easily applicable here. One might call it a bit cliché, but the reality is that the way that people present their lives online is almost always glorified. We already know this though... or do we? For something that seems to be so evident and even commonly discussed (at least within my groups of friends), we seem to be giving into the fantasy lives that we see online. As a result, I feel as though there's a constant subconscious pressure, especially for the people in my age group (a.k.a. college students and young adults), to present our own lives in a certain way.

Although I could gather statistics or articles about the growing dangers of social media, I wanted to take this opportunity to explain the concerns, especially with influencers, that I see from my unique perspective of an avid social media user and a regular 21-year old girl. I may not be able to offer a grand solution to the points I have raised, but by opening this discussion from a raw and honest standpoint, I hope others feel more comfortable doing the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Time As An Influencer In Review

From how-to's to actual interviews with influencers, I feel as though my posts have provided a variety of insight to my readers through ...