Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Entertainment Influencers

I recently finished watching the first season of Netflix's 13 Reasons Why, and, truth be told, I probably wouldn't have committed if it weren't for Selena Gomez's involvement in the series.

For some context, I am not some huge Selena Gomez fan. However, I tend to agree with her beliefs and opinions (well, those that she voices publicly), I follow her on social media, and I saw her creating lots of hype for the show. Additionally, I was both more hesitant and more intrigued to watch the show because of its main topic: suicide. When I was young, my father committed suicide and I've spent the majority of my life raising awareness to mental illness. That being said, it makes me excited about others doing the same, but also makes me nervous to see such a fragile topic in an entertainment setting. So, anyway, I ultimately fell into Gomez's marketing trap, watched the show, and, man do I have a lot of feelings.

First off, I think that the correlation between bullying and depression (as well as other mental disorders and suicide) that the show highlighted was a strong element. This is an arena that few television and movie creators dabble in, as it has high risk for controversy. Here, the producers established a realistic portrayal of bullying and identified the short and long-term effects that it could have on someone, especially at the vulnerable age of 16.

The series was also very well casted, which I felt contributed to the effectiveness of the show's message. The creators did not choose a high-profile cast, but rather a group of relatable yet quirky, seemingly ordinary yet unique, and diverse high school students. By doing this, the creators did not place much emphasis on the people playing these roles, but rather the characters themselves.

The show also used an excellent marketing tool: their executive producer, Selena Gomez. I already touched on this above, but, to be clear, I do respect this strategy from a business perspective. This is where the use of influencers to represent one's brand can be very effective. However, from a personal perspective, this seemed insensitive. Gomez reached millions of people through her social network when advocating for the show. While this may seem harmless, the concern is that of those millions of people who follow her, a significant percentage have been or could be affected by mental illness, suicide, bullying, sexual misconduct, etc. Many of these followers, especially the younger ones, still may have an inclination to watch the series despite the potential triggers it could evoke. My take on Gomez's advocacy for the show is, again, mainly personal, so I could understand how others may not see the need for concern here, but this raises my next point.

Perhaps my biggest critique of the series is the plot itself. I know that that may seem a bit drastic, but the mere idea of blaming others for a suicide is NOT spreading proper awareness. In regards to Gomez as the influencer behind the series, this kind of storyline strikes me as dangerous given how many young, easily impressionable people are watching based on her suggestions. Furthermore, the pain of people struggling with any kind of mental disorder or trauma is not to be diminished, but the circular concept that projecting such pain onto those who once hurt you is completely ineffective and practically barbaric. Seeking some sort of revenge does not relieve pain, nor does taking your life. However, supporting one another and forgiveness does.

As I have started the second season of 13 Reasons Why, I have found a few redeeming qualities within the show. Overall, I think that the series has potential to use its platform to spread more appropriate awareness, but as far as the first season goes, the creators were a bit too desensitized for my liking. My review stems from my honest opinion, as well as my emotional connection to the subjects covered in this show, so I hope this unique perspective allows other viewers to consider some of what I have covered today.

If you or anyone you know if ever suffering from addiction, depression, or suicidal thoughts, please call this number: 1-800-273-8255.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Time As An Influencer In Review

From how-to's to actual interviews with influencers, I feel as though my posts have provided a variety of insight to my readers through ...