Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Wise Words of an Influencer

Since a lot of my writing stems from my personal experiences in the influencer world, I wanted to give you a fresh perspective on the industry. I had the chance to sit down with someone who has worked as an influencer for almost five years now and get some answers to a lot of popular questions! For the same reason that I have chosen to not disclose my boss's name (simply out of respect for their privacy), I'm unfortunately not going to share the name of my interviewee, but for confusion's sake, I'll be referring to her as Nicole. I'm still super excited to share with you guys, so here are some of the things we discussed:

Leslie: Hey Nicole! Thank you so much for meeting with me today. I'd love to dive right in by asking you exactly what part of the influencer world you are a part of?
Nicole: Hi Leslie! So, if I had to specify the sub-industry that I work in, I would say it would be fashion influencing, but I have a lot more freedom now that I've been doing it for a few years, so that has allowed me to incorporate new and different areas of my life into my work.

Leslie: How did you enter the influencer industry?
Nicole: I always find this to be such a funny question because I never really intended on entering this industry. At the time, I was just blogging on the side as an outlet from my corporate job and I became pretty invested in my writing. Then, as social media evolved even more, I started receiving more attention from my blog viewers on my social channel, and the rest sort of feels like history!

Leslie: What would you say is the toughest part of being an influencer?
Nicole: The toughest part would probably be the overconsumption of social media sometimes. Don't get me wrong, I love what I do, but I'm still human and being an influencer doesn't make me immune to insecurities or caring too much what others think. If anything, I think it makes you care more, which is great on a professional front, but you have to know your limits for your own personal sake and allow yourself a break every once in a while.

Leslie: What would you say is the best part of being an influencer?
Nicole: The best part is hands down the people you meet and the places you go! Although all of my content is posted from the other side of a screen, creating that content typically involves a lot of other (and new!) people. When you create all these new friends through one commonality, you all become one big family. That's what makes the crazy times like fashion week so exciting. You all get to experience this together. All in all, I'm just so grateful for the opportunities that I've had thus far.

Leslie: Do you think that there is a key, for lack of a better term, to your success?
Nicole: Hmm.. I think the only key to succeeding in this industry is your level of passion. I've seen a ton of people try to become influencers for the wrong reasons and I have to say, I think it always catches up with them. That being said,

Leslie: Is there any piece of advice you would give someone trying to break into the influencer industry?
Nicole: I think that there are a lot of people who don't really realize that being an influencer is essentially the same as running your own business. They see the fun stuff and final content but forget about a lot of the hard work that influencers put into their careers. So, like I said before, I think passion is essential to succeeding in this industry, as well as staying consistent! That's huge! And if you really are passionate about it, keeping at it shouldn't be too hard.

I had a great time sitting down with Nicole and really enjoyed getting a feel for her own personal experiences in such a rapidly growing field! I love being able to bring as much insight to the table as possible, so I'm hoping to get this same opportunity with more influencers down the line. Leave me a comment with any questions you would want answered in future Q&As!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Time As An Influencer In Review

From how-to's to actual interviews with influencers, I feel as though my posts have provided a variety of insight to my readers through ...